Monday, July 5, 2010

Video Video Video Time

I recently bought a video camera, and brought it with me last week on my vacation to Fairmont, British Columbia. While there, I had plenty of time to play around with it, and tried my hand at my first real time lapse. I set the camera down and let it record the sky until my tape ran out, and then sped up the footage so that 40 minutes was compressed into 20 seconds. That's the first shot in the following video, and the rest is comprised of other, shorter time lapses and miscellaneous shots off the patio of the villa where I was staying. Watch:

5 comments:

Jonathan Gerrans said...

awesome, man!
I've been dissatisfied with most of the methods of capturing sunsets, but never thought of timelapse! I think it's great! Sunsets are constantly changing, but no one wants to sit through 40 minutes of video to experience it, or flip through 120 pictures... I'm going to have to try that! [as soon as i get a video camera that is]

Tyler said...

Thanks bro! I was pretty stoked with the results. Would it be possible to try to take a plethora of pictures over the course of a day or afternoon, and combine them later into video form?

Ali said...

Nice video, Ty!! Made me miss being in Fairmont and we only just got back. Would have been neat if our villa looked the other direction and you could have got the Rockies in the video too. In any case, the time lapses were awesome!!

Jonathan Gerrans said...

ya i think that's possible... i was thinking of putting it on multi shot and holding down the shutter for a while. that would be pretty close to a video... but then i'd have to find some software that would do that.

Glenda said...

thanks for sharing this, ty.
i really enjoy your handiwork and the nature that it uses.